Thursday, May 18, 2006

2 weeks and counting

2 WEEKS AND COUNTING!! Holy Crap people! OK, freak out over. On to more useful topics.

I just received a call from the hospital reminding me to bring 250$ with me as my hospital co-pay. That's it though. There's been no talk of pre-surgical testing. I asked about pre-surgical testing and was informed that we did all of that already at my last appointment with the good doctor. Now, I always imagined pre-surgical testing involved drawing blood or something.

I am not to donate blood. I asked if I could, and I was told NO - believe it or not. The explanation given me was: There are just as many errors when you are supplying your own blood as when you use blood bank blood, therefore, there is no need to weaken yourself. Also, people tend to require more blood after they have donated blood. Hmmm......Logically, I can certainly follow the argument but I would sure feel a lot better if I could just donate the blood already.

The other weird thing is the incision. All of the PAO's I've heard about and read about had the scar running down the hip, parallel to the line of the leg. I have been told that my incision will run across the hip, perpendicular to the leg. Has anyone else had this or heard of this??

Now I know, I am hyper-educated about this surgery and what to expect. That comes from me being crazy and my incessant reading of the HipWomen posts. I would just feel better if this surgery followed the others I've read about. Maybe it's just nerves.

5 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I'm from the hipwomen Yahoo! group, and I have been keeping an eye on your website...just wanted to let you know that Dr. Millis up in Boston also does the scar that runs somewhat along your lower pantyline...I took a picture of my own scar; this is me looking down at it:
    link
    If you can figure it out, that's my left front hip...I had my surgery in April 2004. The ligher-colored line is the scar (the smaller, darker one below that is apparently from too-tight underwear!).

    Sorry to be so graphic, but I thought you might like to know what it'll probably look like. It really is nice & unobtrusive, and I think the doctors really try to make it as unnoticeable as possible (hidden behind your underwear & all).

    Best of luck! I'll be reading your blog as you go through the PAO process!

    Take care of those hips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Arianna! That makes me feel better. ALL of the scar shots I had scene before were running in the opposite direction.

    BTW, your scar looks fantastic. You can hardly see it. It really helped me visualize what I'll look like post PAO (especially since I also have a small star tatoo in that general area!)

    Thank YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:01 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:49 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:38 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Guys. I don't really check this much anymore. You are welcome to comment though, I just can't always promise you a personal response. I do hope this blog has helped though!